Rhinoplasties are among the most popular facial procedures performed today and they involve changing the shape and structure of your nose. There are several reasons why one may opt for a rhinoplasty, since the nose is the most noticeable and central feature of your face.
Reasons Why People Get a Rhinoplasty
Unfortunately, there is no way to hide the imperfections of a crooked or dented nose or one that is bulbous and does not fit in with the rest of your facial features. Other than aesthetic reasons, rhinoplasty is also a person who for someone who has difficult breathing or had a prior injury to their nose.
At times, rhinoplasty is performed for medical reasons when you suffer from a deviated septum that affects your breathing. The condition could affect just one side of the nose or lead to sinus infection and sinusitis too. Some people are born with a deviated septum, or it could be a result of an accident or trauma where the cartilage in the nose shifted to make breathing difficult.
Some of the cosmetic reasons why people opt for rhinoplasty include:
- Nasal hump – This is characterized by a hump or bulge at the nasal dorsum. A rhinoplasty can help create a straighter nose and dorsum.
- Bulbous tip – Some are born with a wide nasal tip that is not in proportion with the rest of the face, almost resembling a ball on the tip of your nose. A rhinoplasty will narrow down this tip and bring it into harmony with the rest of your face.
- Wide nose – When the nasal bone is wider compared to the rest of the face, narrowing it will improve facial symmetry.
- Droopy nose – Some people have the tip of the nose hanging downwards and almost covering the upper lip giving the impression of a long face. The rhinoplasty surgery lifts the nasal tip, bringing balance to the face.
- Broken nose – A broken nose can look misshapen and in many cases can affect your breathing. A rhinoplasty resets the nasal bone and restores the appearance as well as the functionality of your nose.
Dr Nakamura and his staff have been fabulous through my whole endeavor. I am so pleased with my results, but more importantly how I was treated and cared for. They are sensitive and friendly, they went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable with the office, the environment and the procedures. I reviewed several surgeons before choosing him and I'd never go anywhere else!
Advantages of the Rhinoplasty Procedure
Changes to the nose become apparent almost immediately while healing and a well-shaped nose gives you balance to your face, highlighting all of your features equally.
Here are some benefits of the procedure you may not be aware of:
Your results will last – With an experienced surgeon who has a good perspective on how a nose should appear in relation to your face, you can achieve beautiful results. Other than beautiful results, a good surgeon also ensures that you do not require corrective surgery. Unless you face an injury later, rhinoplasty results should last for many years.
Correction of breathing problems – A nasal deformity, internal or external can lead to obstruction of breathing. Internal swelling or any distortion can obstruct your airway that the rhinoplasty surgery can correct.
Reshaping of the bone, tissue, and cartilage – During your rhinoplasty, every aspect of the nose is modified and this includes the underlying bone and cartilage too. Surgeons routinely use cartilage grafts to help add support to the nose and alter its appearance.
Preparing for Your Rhinoplasty Surgery
Perhaps the most important aspect of your rhinoplasty surgery is choosing your surgeon. The success of your procedure depends heavily on the experience, ability, and skills of your surgeon. Check their credentials, past patients and results before deciding on the surgeon you want to go with. Rhinoplasty is a complex surgery which has to preserve and correct the nasal airway.
Some of the common side effects of the surgery include swelling and bruising. Most surgeons will advise that you do not exercise for a month to reduce the risk of persistent swelling and bruising.
Rhinoplasty results are instantly noticeable and the final result appears one year after surgery once the swelling subsides.